AN UPDATE ON WHERE I HAVE BEEN AND WHY: THE SNOW GLOBE EFFECT AND THE AUGUST CRISIS 2026
The Snow Globe Effect and the August Crisis
A visual account of overlapping flashbacks, the August 29 to
September 1 ER timeline, and the continuing impact of the Cracker Barrel
encounter
Brian “Happy”
Bryanson | Compiled September 2026
I have been away from social media since August 5. Increased
flashbacks had already taken my attention. On August 29, a power outage and
heat exposure, followed by a confrontation at Cracker Barrel that I experienced
as an assault, became a crisis that took me to the ER. The face, pointed
demand, and feeling of being cornered kept replaying in the following weeks and
continue to haunt me. This packet explains that experience in my words and
places it beside my dated journal record.
The Snow Globe Effect is my metaphor. It is not a recognized
diagnosis or a literal diagram of brain storage. The illustrated scenes
represent subjective recollection; the dated chronology distinguishes messages
and available records from what I recall or infer.
Figure 1. Three competing layers: stored imagery pushing
out, newly emerging imagery pressing in, and a present crisis demanding
attention. The central box represents my experience of dissociative amnesia.
How the restaurant encounter stayed with me
Before entering the restaurant, I reported being weakened by
105°F heat, an outage at home, driving without working truck air conditioning,
and roughly 25 minutes spent searching for accessible parking. I sat at the
nearby table because my legs felt too weak to stand. I report that the manager
approached within inches of my face, poked my chest, repeatedly demanded “Yes, sir,” and told me I was excluded. I felt
cornered between walls.
At Cotton Patch soon afterward, I was shaking. I could see
his face and hear that demand on a loop. My journal describes the convergence
plainly:
“The heat and the confrontation had merged
into one crisis.”
The physical heat did not end the moment I found air
conditioning. Panic, weak legs, diminished concentration, and the repeated
image followed me. Later on Highway 380, I reported that my vision dimmed; my
neighbor James helped me home and called 911. I recall severe internal
confusion before it quieted in the ambulance. Hospital paperwork available for
my timeline included a safety plan that named upsetting contact, unwanted
touch, and trauma reminders among my triggers.
The crisis continued after discharge. I was sore and
exhausted, the electricity failed again on August 30, and I needed until
September 1 to type the fuller account. The manager’s face, pointing gesture,
and “Yes, sir” demand remained a recurring
flashback theme in the ensuing weeks. I describe that persistence as haunting:
a reminder of being physically weak and seeking a safe place could bring back
the fear and bodily alarm. This is my account of ongoing symptoms, not a
measured count of episodes or a claim that every later distress had one cause.
In the artwork, I place the manager’s angry face at the
center of the present-day circle because it felt like an intrusive overlay
between the restaurant, the drive home, and the ER. I place puzzle pieces in
all three circles because an old image, an approaching image, and the present
situation can compete for attention. Describing that sequence has helped me
separate parts of it, though it has not made the recollection disappear.
The ER visit timeline
|
When |
Event and record status |
|
August 29 before 3:49 p.m. |
Power and cooling stopped
at home; I reported 105°F heat and drove without working truck AC. Departure
and arrival times remain approximate. |
|
Around 3:49 p.m. |
I entered Cracker Barrel weak from heat, sat near the hostess
stand, and reported the confrontation and unwanted touch. |
|
Later afternoon |
At Cotton Patch I reported
panic and repeated replay of the manager’s face and “Yes,
sir.” |
|
4:51 p.m. |
The original acute journal account was recorded. |
|
5:26 p.m. |
I sent an urgent email
asking for help; delivery failure notices followed for several recipients. |
|
Evening |
I reported dimming vision on Highway 380. James helped me inside
and called 911; exact emergency times still needed verification. |
|
August 30 at 2:16 a.m. |
A message said I was in
psychiatric review at Medical City McKinney. |
|
2:20 a.m. |
A personal safety plan was recorded in the hospital material used
for my timeline. |
|
After evaluation |
I reported ambulance
transport home, soreness, exhaustion, and another electricity outage later
Sunday. |
|
August 31 to September 1 |
I sought responder information; by September 1 I had enough
energy to type a fuller account. |
Time labels reflect my compiled August 29 to September 1
journal timeline. Exact ER hold duration, full diagnoses, transport details,
and some incident details require the complete records.
The Snow Globe Overload Scale
This proposed 1–10 scale describes how overwhelmed I feel in
a particular moment. It is not a validated clinical instrument, a ranking of
trauma severity, or a schedule for intentionally provoking symptoms. The colors
help me and a clinician notice when to pause, change pace, or focus on safety.
|
Level |
Experience |
Possible care response |
|
1–2 Green |
Present feels clear; a
reminder passes. |
Notice what is working and
record context. |
|
3–4 Yellow |
Tension or a recurring theme becomes noticeable. |
Pause, orient, and name the theme. |
|
5–6 Orange |
Body symptoms interrupt
tasks; past and present begin to blur. |
Reduce demands and use an
agreed coping tool. |
|
7–8 Red |
Several images or sensations compete; functioning or orientation
worsens. |
Stop trauma processing and follow the stabilization plan. |
|
9–10 Purple |
Severe overwhelm or
inability to regain safety and orientation. |
Use the urgent support
plan; seek immediate help when needed. |
A theme curation scale
|
Step |
What changes |
Example from this record |
|
1 Flooding |
Images, sensations, and
present demands collide. |
Restaurant replay and the
heat crisis merge. |
|
2 Naming |
A recurring image or phrase gains a name. |
The face and “Yes, sir” become
identifiable. |
|
3 Separating |
I distinguish present
event, older image, body alarm, and interpretation. |
The three circles and
amnesic box give separate places to the layers. |
|
4 Sequencing |
I place timed records and recalled events in order without
filling gaps. |
4:51 p.m. journal; 5:26 p.m. help email; 2:16 a.m. psychiatric
review message. |
|
5 Settling |
I can discuss an episode
and return to the present, even while questions remain. |
The September 1 account
became writable; replay continued afterward. |
How I want therapy to use these tools
I want the clinician and me to move through intake and
comfort, coping foundations, the span of childhood and later trauma,
preparation for overlapping imagery, mapping repeated themes and body symptoms,
and careful review of triggers and progress. New responses can then be
recognized when an old cue has less force. These steps may repeat. The scale
should prompt conversation and pacing, never a surprise test or a push toward
overload.
Source and interpretation note
Sources used: The Blood Snake Appears Again (edited
September 14, 2025); I Knew a Flashback Was on Its Way Now Its Here (October 3,
2025); Acute Journal Cracker Barrel (original August 29, expanded September 1,
2026); Complete Timeline Heat Cracker Barrel and Medical Crisis (August
29–September 1, 2026); and the September 2026 journal reflections described in
this project. Quoted passages are from the compiled journal timeline. Dated
writing establishes what was recorded and when; it does not independently verify
a remembered event or a reported allegation. The continuing impact over weeks
is my present report.
The restaurant confrontation in context
I was not arriving at the restaurant from an ordinary day.
Electricity had stopped at home while I was trying to journal and manage
flashbacks. I reported 105°F outside and no working air conditioning in my
truck. When accessible spaces were occupied at two restaurants, I kept driving
to preserve airflow. By the time I reached the Cracker Barrel table near the
hostess stand, my legs felt too weak to keep standing. Sitting down was an
attempt to recover.
I report that the manager came very close, poked my chest,
demanded that I answer “Yes, sir,” and told
me I could not remain. I experienced the walls behind and beside me as a trap.
The conduct and physical contact are my account; the restaurant’s records and
footage were still being sought in the September 1 journal. The contrast
mattered to me: I had entered to get cool and find a place of safety, but left
shaking and afraid.
“The table was dirty, but my legs were too
weak to keep carrying me. I sat where I felt safest and where I believed I
could recover from the heat.”
At Cotton Patch, the immediate confrontation had ended, yet
the manager’s face and command replayed. I tried regulating my breathing. I
emailed for help at 5:26 p.m.; the record includes failed delivery notices to
several people. The encounter had become intrusive imagery while my body was
still coping with heat, weakness, and panic. Later on the drive home my vision
dimmed. My neighbor called 911 after helping me inside.
“I used every coping skill I knew. I slowed
my breathing and tried to hold myself together, but the manager’s face remained
on a loop.”
For weeks afterward, the manager’s expression, pointing, and
“Yes, sir” demand continued to haunt me. I
describe the loop as part of the trauma I have been trying to process,
alongside old flashbacks. I could write an account and still experience the
image again. The event also changed ordinary decisions: weakness and swelling
made travel difficult enough that I canceled family time. The cancellation and
continuing symptoms are my current report; I do not have an exact date or count
of missed gatherings to put on a graph.
What happened with parts or alters
At home during the 911 episode, I felt Bones, Dirt, and
Indian Joe compete for control; I remember Bones yelling. These are the names I
had already used for parts or alters in my journals. In my account, the
confusion became quieter once I was inside the ambulance. Another later journal
reflection mentions a part I called “the finder”
in a dream; I keep that later experience separate from the three I identified
during the 911 episode.
The experience is meaningful to my care, but this graph does
not diagnose DID or specify an OSDD subtype. I have described OSDD as present
or discussed in my care; the complete clinical record would be needed to
establish the precise diagnostic wording and date. I want the new psychiatric
clinician and talk therapist to review that wording with me rather than
treating this as only a brief panic episode.
Care physical effects and family life
New care and diagnostic questions
After the ER visit I was referred into further medical and
mental-health care. I now report a new psychiatric doctor and a new talk
therapist. My September journal names Mitch Hill, LCSW, as the new therapist
and says he expressed interest in reading my written work. I want the
psychiatrist and therapist to understand the 911 episode, the names of the
parts I experienced, the continuing manager replay, and my questions about
OSDD. The available journal material does not name the psychiatric doctor or give
a date for that appointment, so this document leaves those details open.
Swelling weakness and canceled time
My feet and legs were already a serious mobility concern,
and I report that swelling became worse after this period. In a September
journal passage I recorded my left calf at 59.2 cm and ankle at 36.5 cm and
wrote that a Velcro wrap for drainage was being arranged. Those are two
measurements of different body sites at one point; they cannot establish a
swelling trend or prove that the restaurant encounter caused the edema. The
practical effect I am describing is clear: my legs felt more swollen and weak,
travel took more from me, and I had to cancel family time because I was too
weak to go.
“My feet are swelling now and soon I will
go home.”
That loss matters to me. Family visits are not an abstract “functioning” score. They are time with people I
wanted to see. When I could not travel, the crisis reached beyond the ER
discharge date and into my relationships. I would like my clinicians to ask
about mobility, recovery after outings, and the family plans I missed, while
also evaluating the swelling on its own medical terms.
What I want my clinicians to see
Please review the dated ER sequence alongside what I
experienced internally; ask about the continuing face and command replay, OSDD
chart wording, and how weakness and swelling have limited travel and family
time. I want the psychiatric doctor and Mitch Hill to see the full pattern
rather than a single isolated episode.
Source note: Additional personal material comes from the
September 2026 journal text supplied in this project and my current account.
The diagram shows reported relationships and sequence. It does not establish
that stress caused edema, that a named part corresponds to a separate clinical
diagnosis, or that a disputed restaurant action was independently confirmed.
DSM and WHO diagnostic reference
This section helps me bring accurate terminology to my
psychiatric doctor and talk therapist. It does not assign or revise a
diagnosis. DSM-5-TR is published by the American Psychiatric Association;
ICD-11 is published by the World Health Organization. Their categories are
related but not identical.
|
My reported concern |
DSM-5-TR terminology |
WHO ICD-11 terminology |
|
Complex PTSD |
PTSD is a DSM diagnosis;
complex PTSD is not a separate DSM-5-TR diagnosis. |
Complex post-traumatic
stress disorder is a distinct ICD-11 diagnosis, 6B41. |
|
Memory gaps |
Dissociative amnesia is a DSM dissociative disorder. |
Dissociative amnesia is an ICD-11 disorder, 6B61. |
|
OSDD |
Other specified
dissociative disorder is a DSM category when the clinician specifies why a
presentation does not meet full criteria for another dissociative disorder. |
WHO uses its own
categories; OSDD should not be automatically relabeled as partial DID. |
|
Parts and identity experiences |
Dissociative identity disorder is a separate DSM diagnosis
requiring clinician assessment; named parts alone do not establish it. |
ICD-11 distinguishes dissociative identity disorder 6B64 and
partial dissociative identity disorder 6B65. |
|
Physical changes |
Leg swelling and weakness
require medical assessment, not a dissociative diagnosis. |
WHO classification also
covers physical conditions and symptoms; a specific cause or code requires
medical evaluation. |
My status as reported: I have described CPTSD with
dissociative amnesia as a diagnosis in my care and OSDD as added or discussed
in September 2026. The available ER excerpts used in this packet do not show
the full diagnostic list or whether DID was diagnosed, considered, or ruled
out. I want my current clinicians to identify the actual charted diagnoses,
codes, dates, and diagnosing clinician in writing. I also report new
psychiatric and talk therapy care, but the available source identifies Mitch
Hill, LCSW, as the talk therapist and does not identify the psychiatric doctor
by name.
References: American Psychiatric Association, DSM-5 table of
contents and “What Are Dissociative Disorders?”
(psychiatry.org); World Health Organization, ICD-11 browser (icd.who.int) and
Clinical Descriptions and Diagnostic Requirements for ICD-11 Mental,
Behavioural and Neurodevelopmental Disorders (2024, who.int); U.S. Department
of Veterans Affairs, “Complex PTSD: History and
Definitions” (ptsd.va.gov).
How the later flashback saga belongs to
the ER story
The August 29 crisis did not end when I left Medical City
McKinney. The power outage, 105°F heat, lack of cooling in my truck, search for
accessible parking, and the confrontation I reported at Cracker Barrel preceded
panic, the repeated image of the manager’s face and command, a 911 call,
ambulance transport, and psychiatric review overnight. Those details belong to
the acute ER timeline. In the days that followed, I was sore and exhausted,
reconstructed the sequence in writing, and sought further care. The manager
replay continued to trouble me for weeks.
My later journal shows another part of the same period of
destabilization. I began an Erik Erikson trauma-development project, but an
intrusive image interrupted the work. On September 14, I noted that the image
of a running woman remained frozen while swamp details appeared. On September
18, I wrote about being unable to make the next imagery “download” from what I call my amnesic box. At 2:04 a.m. on
September 19, I recorded the living-room telephone scene, the swamp imagery,
and an older vehicle or shooting scene competing for attention. This dated
sequence explains how the snow globe concept developed after the ER visit. [10]
“Many images are playing one over another
right night and it’s difficult to catch just one.” [10]
In that entry I described two directions of pressure at the
doorway of the amnesic box: an older swamp image seemed to press outward, while
the new living-room and telephone scene seemed to press inward. I connected
those images in the present as I wrote. The entry distinguishes my immediate
imagery from my attempts to infer a historical sequence; it does not establish
that the scenes happened exactly as pictured. I called the sensation a snow
globe because the pieces were all moving while I tried to see which belonged
together. [10]
“So, in the moment on the couch, I was
fighting the repression of the swamp from coming out of my amnesic box while
trying to repress this new scene into my amnesic box and there was a jumble at
the door as to what was going where and I am experiencing that now.” [10]
By the end of the September 19 writing, I said that drawing
the picture and flow chart had helped me separate the assassination or vehicle
image, the living-room scene, and the swamp. I felt calmer and said that
pressure had eased, while also stating the flashback had not fully played out.
That is a limited, meaningful resolution of one episode. The continuing
restaurant replay, mobility problems, and care needs remained part of the
larger ER aftermath. [10]
“I am calm and happy I believe that the
recall jam has been deciphered and that I can move forward now.” [10]
The relationship shown in this packet is therefore
chronological and experiential: the August emergency was followed by weeks of
symptoms and writing, during which a later multi-scene flashback arose and
became the Snow Globe Effect. I cannot establish from the journal alone that
the restaurant encounter medically caused the September imagery. I can say that
I experienced the flashback saga while still trying to recover from and
understand the ER crisis.
My writings from August through September
2026
These excerpts put my own words beside the sequence, graphs,
and clinical questions. Quotation marks indicate words in the named source. The
short explanation after each group is a present-day reading of the writing, not
an additional quotation or proof of another person’s conduct. The August 6
restaurant letter concerns a separate earlier visit; it is included to explain
why that table and family lunches mattered before August 29.
August 6 The earlier restaurant
letter
“I have a hidden disability” [1]
“On Thursdays I can get out and meet some of my kiddos
for lunch. This is a big deal for me” [1]
That earlier letter explains the practical and emotional
importance of a short walk to a nearby table. It describes preexisting foot
swelling, crutches, and a limited chance to meet family. It concerns a
different restaurant visit from the August 29 emergency.
August 29 Heat and the confrontation
“The temperature that day was 105°F.” [2]
“For approximately 25 minutes, I drove back and forth
across the highway.” [2]
“The table was dirty, but I chose it because I needed to
sit immediately and because it was a place where I felt safe.” [2]
“I felt physically cornered.” [2]
Heat exposure, unavailable accessible parking, and weak legs
shaped what happened before I sat. The last two passages explain why I
experienced the reported confrontation as a loss of safety.
August 29 to September 1 Replay and
emergency care
“The image of his face and his demand for “Yes, sir”
began replaying repeatedly in my mind.” [2]
“During the crisis, the internal identities or parts I
had previously documented in my journals—Bones, Dirt, and Indian Joe—felt as if
they were fighting for control.” [2]
“The confusion subsided after I was inside the ambulance
traveling to McKinney.” [2]
“From the original incident until the time of this
expanded entry, I have been operating in crisis-control mode.” [2]
These passages mark the shift from the encounter to
intrusive replay, the subjective experience of parts during the 911 crisis, the
ambulance, and the exhaustion that delayed the full account until September 1.
September 1 A note about diagnosis
and swelling
“My memories are coming back but I am not sure how to
assess them.” [3]
“Dissociative identity disorder is a possable diagnosis
but then I found OSDD and that fits too.” [3]
“My feet are swelling now and soon I will go home.” [3]
The spelling “possable”
is retained from the note. It records a question I was considering, not a
confirmed DID diagnosis. The swelling passage records a concurrent physical
concern, not its cause.
Early September The cascade and new
therapist
“Ever since the cascade-effect began with the Cracker
Barrel incident I have been struggling and it’s been difficult.” [4]
“My alters Bones, Dirt, and Indian Joe came out during
this 911 episode that occurred at my house.” [4]
“This is the first therapist that said he would read my
written works and had an interest in my traumas.” [4]
Here I connected the crisis to ongoing difficulty and
described why the first visit with Mitch Hill, LCSW, felt potentially
different. This is my journal’s report of that meeting, not a prediction of how
treatment will unfold.
September 11 to September 20 The
return of older themes
“I had no idea what I would journal today or even if I
would.” [5]
“the Blood Snake brought back into my mind” [5]
“three flashbacks became activated at one time” [6]
The September 11 entry describes a present reminder bringing
back a 2025 family conversation and older imagery. On September 20, I described
several flashbacks active together and began naming the snow globe. These are
descriptions of my experience; the connections between remembered scenes still
need careful exploration.
Bibliography of my works cited
[1]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “Cracker Barrel Complaint: From a High to a Low Here We
Go Again.” August 6, 2026. Three-page first-person restaurant letter.
[2]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “Acute Journal Entry: Heat Exposure, Cracker Barrel
Confrontation, Panic Crisis, and Hospitalization.” Original entry August
29, 2026, 4:51 p.m.; expanded account September 1, 2026. File:
Acute_Journal_Cracker_Barrel_2026-08-29.docx.
[3]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” Personal note dated
September 1, 2026, 5:58 p.m., preserved within “AI
Describes My Life as a Kon-Tiki Voyage 2026” and the supplied Pasted
markdown(5).md. Quotations reflect the note’s wording.
[4]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “AI Describes My Life as a Kon-Tiki Voyage 2026.”
Journal text preserved in Pasted markdown(5).md, supplied September 4, 2026.
The quotations above come from Bryanson’s own paragraphs, not the AI-generated
opening metaphor.
[5]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “The First Annual Recollection of Two Corresponding
Events 2026.” September 2026 journal entry, preserved in Pasted
markdown(20260911-105130).md, supplied September 11, 2026.
[6]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” September 20, 2026,
account introducing the Snow Globe Effect and its three simultaneously
activated flashbacks. Current project conversation.
[7]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “Complete Timeline: Heat, Cracker Barrel, and Medical
Crisis.” Compiled August 29–September 1, 2026. File:
Complete_Timeline_Heat_Cracker_Barrel_and_Medical_Crisis_2026-08-29_to_2026-08-31.docx.
Used for chronology; its editorial “JOURNAL
PASSAGE” summaries are not quoted here as verbatim original journal
lines.
[8]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “Consistency Without Conflation.” Progressive
Research Paper 2026-08-03-01, August 3, 2026. Cited for the archive’s
distinction between recollection, inference, documentary record, and
independent corroboration.
[9]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “CPTSD Cold Case One-Year Documentary Timeline,
2025–2026.” Prepared September 10, 2026. Cited for the dated index and
evidentiary legend.
[10]
Bryanson, Brian “Happy.” “Thought That I Would Create an Eric Erickson Trauma
Development Spectrum and Then One Flashback Invaded Another.” Journal
begun in September 2026, with dated entries September 14, 18, 19, and closing
note September 20, 2026. File: Pasted markdown(20260920-221405).md. Quoted as a
first-person account of imagery and interpretation after the August ER visit.
Quotation and dating note: The source files are a mix of
contemporaneous entries, later expanded accounts, personal notes, and edited
compilations. The bibliography identifies those forms so a reader can trace
each statement without treating a dated quotation as independent proof of the
underlying event.
Comments
Post a Comment